The ever-changing world of social media can be tough to navigate, even for an experienced marketer. For start-up businesses it can seem almost impossible, a necessary evil that can make or break your new business. We want to help! Find five tips below that can help take your social media from being ineffective to your number one source for new business.
1. Less can be more – It’s a common belief that to be successful in social media, you have to be all over social media. This is FALSE. You don’t need to be on every platform available, especially when starting out. It is better to have one or two strong profiles than many poor ones. In social media, quality is definitely better than quantity. Focus on building up one or two solid profiles before jumping into new platforms.
2. Interaction is Key!!! – This is true no matter who you are. When potential customers reach out be prepared to respond quickly. Sometimes all it takes is a simple “like” or a quick “thanks”. Ignoring feedback is a sure way to lose customers. Remember, social media should be SOCIAL!
3. Get Personal– Let people know who you are; post pictures and share stories about your operations. Have a fun work culture? Talk about it! People do business with companies they know and trust. Make it easy for them to get to know and trust you.
4. Do Giveaways– Giveaways are a great way to grab people’s attention and keep it. EVERYONE loves free stuff! Don’t have tangible goods to do a giveaway with? Try offering time or services. For example, 15 minutes of free mentoring can be just as enticing as a $25 gift card.
5. Have a strategy! – You wouldn’t start your company without a business plan and you shouldn’t start social media without having a strategy. Diving in and “hoping for the best” likely won’t produce the results you’re looking for. A focused strategy is the only way to be successful when it comes to social media.