Content continues to be king, and there are very obvious reasons why. Content, in any way, shape or form is what gets people’s attention. With all the content readily available, you have to be careful and strategic about how and where you put your information. But content is still what will draw customers in.
A strategic content marketing strategy will help your business get more attention and revenue. Old publicity methods like throwing ads in your face via TV or the radio have become harder to get true value from, but content marketing has remained strong. When we say content marketing we are referring to a marketing strategy that informs the customer, giving valuable information as opposed to trying to interrupt all the noise with your message or product. The upcoming generation is very information oriented and information is easily and readily available for all in today’s world, so if you want to be successful, you need to find a way to make your content stick out and hold attention.
We’ve come up with five simple things you can do to help boost your content marketing strategy and make it do even more for your business:
- Write Up a Plan – Having a written plan is always more beneficial than an abstract idea. Planning your content marketing strategy will not only make it easier to measure in the end to see how successful you were, it will also help ensure you are staying on target. You need to know what messages and information you want to share and who you want to share it with. Writing it down and coming up with a plan will help turn your general idea into an actionable one that will get you results.
- Include Major Holidays and Related Lesser Holidays – The holidays are coming up, and you can be sure that companies and businesses will have a game plan for their marketing this holiday season. Even if your plan is a scrooge, “bah humbug” type attitude toward all the holiday marketing, use it to your advantage! People are more generous and spend more around the holidays so you might as well make the most of it and include it in your content marketing strategy. It can have big rewards.
- Offer Free Content With Value – People love FREE It’s in our nature to want to get something of value for nothing. But notice the key phrase here, something of VALUE. People pay more attention to and appreciate something free when they feel it has value. This can be as simple as the way you phrase your hook for your content, but if you want repeat customers, it is vital that your content is actually worthwhile. If you wouldn’t stop to read it, why would anyone else? Write about the things that your company does well, and offer genuine knowledge based on your own expertise. Unique articles and how-to’s are the things that will draw your audience in.
- Make It Visual – There are reasons why people throw so much money into highly visual campaigns like a superbowl ad; visuals stick. A majority of the population do better with visual learning, so why not use it to your advantage? Visuals, like infographics, are easy to see and understand as well as share on major social sites. Infographics also have a high SEO value and are easily picked up by search engines. Don’t overlook this simple step.
- Engage – Make sure you are engaging with your audience as well as your influencers because both will make your business grow. Engaging with your audience is a good way to build brand loyalty and community around your business, which is a great way to increase your profits. If you really look at the marketing efforts of a lot of the top brands like Nike and Apple, they aren’t selling their products; they are selling their brand and their lifestyle. A lot of the time, their customers do the work for them. That’s why engaging with your audience and influencers is so important.
Applying these five simple tips will make your content marketing strategy stronger and give you better results. Remember that it isn’t always about reinventing the wheel, it’s just about making the wheel work for you. Struggling with your content marketing strategy? Contact us, we’d love to help!
About the Author:As founder of PilmerPR, John Pilmer, APR serves as a PR and marketing communications advisor for both emerging and established companies. He offers customers more than 20 years of results-driven business PR and marketing experience. John and the firm have provided PR consultation and campaigns for clients such as Mozy, Novell, AdvancedMD, Certiport, NextPage, ElectraTherm, Altiris, Avamar, EmergeCore Networks, FSLogic, INVISUS, 10x Marketing, MWI, Project Insight, REIC, Seastone, US Synthetic and Funding Universe (now Lendio), among others.